Brake Light Circuit fail

I brought my 94 325i to the dealer to get the infamous 'Brake Light
Circuit' failure fixed (it's been getting worse and coming on daily).
It will cost $70 to fix.  Given the fact that all BMWs seem to be
affected by this problem, why isn't this covered for free?  A few months
ago during a routine oil change, they had replaced the radiator overflow
cap for free (i didn't even know there was a problem with it).  I don't
see why this was free, but the faulty brake circuit design is not.  Is
it because if left alone it doesn't cause any potential danger? Ie, it's
an annoyance only?

They also are replacing my front rotors because they are below spec.  I
asked if they will machine the rear rotors and he said that they don't
do that with BMW rotors.  They just replace pads and when the rotor
falls below spec, they replace the rotor.  Is this what should be
expected?  It seems like any rotor could benefit from re-machining.

One more gripe, my car has been knocking for a few months now.  It's not
blaringly obvious, but when I step on the gas I can hear the marble-like
distinctive sound of knocking.  I also am experiencing decreased
performance too, maybe it's related.  I run premium.  I asked the dealer
to take a look at it.  They said the 'technician' took it for a test
drive and couldn't hear any knocking or notice any performance loss.
Argh I hate when they do that.  Anyway, I plan on driving the technician
around to show what I'm talking about, but can someone explain why my
car would be knocking and what I could possibly do to fix it (or at
least direct the techs in the right direction)?

Thanks,
Jason