[e36] radio failing questions

My '93 325is has a stock stereo which is crapping out.  It makes
crackling/static noise from all speakers when the radio power is on.
The crackling volume is independent of radio volume.  I'm also
smelling a distinct electrical burning scent when the radio has been
on for a few minutes (I'm no longer turning it on).

Has anyone seen this?  I was ready to buy an aftermarket dash
receiver and the Crutchfield rep informed me that I have a separate
amp in the trunk (who knew?).  How can I prove that the problem is in
the head unit instead of the amp?  Assuming the head unit is at
fault, should I get a low power receiver and the recommended adapter
and keep the rear amp?  I'm looking for a low cost solution.  I
realize I can bypass the rear amp completely but then I have to face
wiring directly to the 8 speakers scatter throughout the car.  Not my
idea of a fun afternoon.

Does anyone have a yanked head unit that works that they want to get rid of?

Thanks,
Carl