RE: 1987 325 (eta) Repair Help Needed

I don't know the 325 engine well enough to comment on any of your
suggestions.  If it were me, I'd remove whatever needs to be removed to
slide off the original part and slide the new one over the studs.

One option you don't mention is to remove the studs (vice grips) and replace
them with hex head bolts in the new housing.