Re: 87 M5 buying advice needed

Mike-

It sounds to me like you are describing a European M535i, which was sold
along side its more powerful M5 brother, in Europe only.  A true European
M5 should have the M5 badges on the exterior, the door sills, and the
engine should say "M Power" on the valve cover, easily apparent when the
hood is raised.  The M535i has a sohc 3.5l inline six that makes 218 hp,
compared to the US market 535i which only has 182 hp.  The European M5's
dohc engine makes 286 hp, and a modest 256 in US form, (easily
correctable.)  As far as hitting 100+ in 3rd gear is concerned, that is
consistent with either car.  The 1985 model year was the first year for the
European M5 and I think the European M535i arrived a year earlier, the US
M5 came out as a 1988 model.  The M535i is a little more than just a more
powerful 535i, as it does have an upgraded suspension, the bumpers on the
European E28s are much less obtrusive, and it is a relatively rare care
with a certain amount of M panache.  It has a 143 mph top speed and can hit
60 in approximately 7 seconds flat.  That said, it is not a substitute for
the real M5.