window winders - very tight

Does anyone have a cure for very tight window winders! ('89 325i). A passenger
has just snapped the winder handle while wrestling to open the window. The
drivers-side winder handle broke about a year ago. These things have always been
quite tight since I've had the car - and a 318i I had before it had similar
problems. I thought of spraying something like wd40 down the guides but as that
may mess up the lining, maybe is not a good idea!
TIA
- -John