<E28> 87 M5 Buying advice needed

A friend of mine has come across what he thinks is a relatively good
deal. He located an 87 M5. I looked at it with him while it was with
the previous owner briefly and he will pick it up tomorrow. In the
meantime I would like to seek buying advice from the list. Its a 5spd,
120K on the clock, european spec, the sticker from its original dealer
in Germany is still there on the trunk. The twin exhaust is in the center
of the rear bumper. It says M535i on a metal plate on the side of the
engine bay on the edge where the hood rests. What puzzled me and
what I didn't have time to look at for carefully was the //M  sign on the
engine. Did this early model M5 have one on the engine ? Where is
it located ? So far the description I have of its accelaration capabilities
is that it will hit 100+ easily while in 3rd. My 93 318i will do 80 on 3rd
if you step on it. Is it possible that the //M spec engine might
have been swapped with a 535i engine ? Would this be possible without
changing the tranny/drive line ? I heard from another friend that
87 was the first year the M5 was produced, are there other things to
watch out for ? Any views will be very much appreciated. Thanks

Mike Theuri
93 318i