Possessed HVAC?

Hello everyone,
I've got a 92 325i (e36) with an HVAC problem. Last week it started with the
air conditioner running always. It would run with the A/C button and light
on or off. Then, for a couple of days the A/C would not work at all.
Yesterday, the heat ran full hot for about 10 minutes, then it switched to
full A/C. And this morning, the A/C was full on, although I could get some
heat by turning up the temp. The fan works normally in all cases. (darn,
there goes the easy fan resistor pack fix.)

It seems to me that it is something electronic, as both the heat and the a/c
mechanically work. Is there a particular module or relay that would fail and
then cause such a problem? The control panel appears to work normally -
pushing the a/c and recirc buttons toggle the lights in them, but don't have
an effect on what the car is doing. And turning the temp knobs works
sometimes.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Greg Steinke
San Jose, CA