reverse lights stuck & won't crank

I'm restoring an '84 733i and was replacing some of the fuses the previous owner had removed. I replaced one fuse and found the back up lights stuck on (this also repaired several of the accessory lights and the temp gauge). I was planning on removing the back-up light bulbs until I could order a switch, but when I turned off the ignition, the car won't turn over! I removed the fuse, but still nothing. The battery is fully charged and all accessories and lights work, but the starter won't turn over. When the fuse is in place the R indicator is on as well as whatever gear the transmission is in. I'm afraid it thinks rhe transmission is in reverse and is acting as a kill switch. Where is the back-up light switch located and is there a way to bypass it until I can replace it?
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, where can I purchase a good shop manual? Robert Bentley doesn't seem to publish one.
Thanks,
Chuck Bentley
cbentley1@domain.elided
'86 325es (working)