E30 Racing Research (cont.)

Thank you for all the responses about identifying and 'e' versus 'i'
motor.

The main points came down to:

- - the 'e' intake runners are longer and thinner
- - the 'e' intake manifold has a cold start valve opposite the runners
(not including the 1988 "super eta")
- - the 'e' cam has fewer journal surfaces that the 'i' cam
- - the 'e' head has single valve springs, and the 'i' head has double
springs.
- - the displacement stamping on the head gasket, if present can also be used.

These indicators are sufficient to be able to identify "cheater" motors
in the class I'm preparing the car for.  Being able the make these
identifications is the first step in getting the car correctly classified,
and eventually competing with it.

I'll be asking a lot more preparation questions over the next several
months, gathering opinions and posting the collected information,
along with a description of the development of the car.

Thanks again....

Bruce Barnett
bcb@domain.elided