1984 533i Fuel Pressure Regulator woes

     Last week I drove my 1984 533i 150K in to work with no problems.
However when I left for lunch the car was cutting off, no power, sputtering,
smoking, bucking terribly, external fuel pump was whining intermittently,
smell of gas, a very bad scene, which came on very suddenly.  Took it to the
local shop the next day and it appears that my fuel pressure regulator was
stuck causing the car to run rich.  Which fouled my plugs.  New plugs, new
pressure regulator and 300.00 less in my pocket and the car is  running
fine.  However, I wish I had had the time to speak to a BMWCCA tech before
taking it to the shop.  With some advice I could have conducted the "trouble
shooting" and repair.  As the fuel pressure regulator is very accessible and
I have certainly changed plugs before.   Unfortunately I was extremely
pressed for time.  Time is money so they say...Perhaps this may help another
with similar problems.

Robert Smith III
1984 533i 150K
New BMWCCA  Member