Re: Interior Leather Up Keep

Dale -

	One of the BMW FAQs has a  very long article on the various
products for caring for your car seats and I seem to recall they liked
Connolloy's (spelling?) Hide Food best.

	I have been using it for three or four years now (twice a year),
applying it by rubbing it in by hand - just like I waterproof my best
hiking boots - and the seats look simply terrific.  No cracking whatsoever.

	You may find this a bit extreme, but...I know when caring for boots
the advice is given to heat the boot up gently - to open the pores of the
leather - before applying the wax/preservative/whatever by hand.

	I have in my took kit a heat guns which is designed to be used when
removing paint.  It has two settings; both are pretty fierce.  I _very_
carefully heat up one section of the leather seat - to the point where it
is comfortably warm to my hand - then rub in the Hide Food until it is
absorbed.

	I let it sit overnight and next day, again using the heat gun to
_gently_ warm the seat, I wipe off any excess with soft cotton toweling.
If the idea appeals but you are nervous about using a heat gun, a hair
dryer would probably do just fine.

	Good luck,
	Seeker