E30 Convertible rear shock mount problem

  I replaced my rear shocks and rear shock mounts about a year and a half
ago in my 88 325iC.  After hearing some clunking from the rear I checked the
shock mounts and the passenger side mount has failed (top nut pulled through
the rubber mount). Can something else wrong with the rear suspension cause
the shock mounts to prematurely fail?  The car does have 180K miles on it
and I'm planning on redoing the rear suspension at some point in the near
future.

Thanks for any help,
Keith Turner
88 325iC