Re: Odometer Help

<<The odometers
on both cars are broken.  The speedometers work fine.  Where
do I start?>>

I have an '87 528e, so I can vouch for your e28:

There's a tiny little gear inside the odometer that you have to get to.  Take
out the instrument cluster (two screws @ top), then remove the speedometer.
Look for a tiny little gear around the odometer.  It might not be that one,
but my guess is that one or more of those gears is/are either disintegrated,
has broken teeth, or is cracked.  You'll have to replace them.  You can take
it to a speedo (VDO certified) shop and have them fix it for ~$100 or you can
find a wrecked e28 and buy the speedo, hoping the gears you need work.

I would choose the latter.  It's cheaper and more self-satisfying.  :-)

Friede,
Brad Couvillon
'87 528e