CD Changer Woes...

I have a 1994 325i with 6-pack CD changer in the trunk.  It was acting up a
bit (it would eject the cartridge for no specific reason when you would
start the ignition) finally one day the radio in the car read either "No
Disc" or "Disc Error" for each disc, even though the thing was full - AND I
couldn't eject the cartridge back at the changer.

I tried disconnecting power (to maybe reset the thing) and the cable that
connects the changer to the radio - all to no avail.

I drove over to a stereo shop and they opened up the changer (while all
connected to the car) and fiddled with the inside... they got it working
(playing, ejecting cartridge, etc.)  but it didn't last long.

A few weeks later... I can't eject the cartridge again and really don't feel
like taking it back to the same place...

Any ideas or thoughts?  Is this a common thing?  Is there a fix - or am I
going to be stuck buying a new changer?

Please reply to me directly - thanks!

Scott Shortt
ScottS@domain.elided