Re: bmw-digest V9 #1547

Jim, If the design of you valve cover is similar to other double overhead
cam engines I have worked with your inside valve cover gasket is leaking.
There should be an outside gasket that seals the outside edge of the valve
cover and some kind of an inside gasket to seal the spark plug well area. On
my BMW V8 the inside one is rectangular and seals the entire 4 spark plug
wells. On my V6 Alfas individual O-rings are used to seal each spark plug
individually. I'm not sure about your BMW 6. Unless the bolts that hold the
valve cover on were actually loose, tightening them should make no
difference. It's the gasket that does the work. Remove the valve cover and
replace the offending gasket to fix the leak. Clean all of the surfaces that
the gasket contacts before reassembly. You can use a turkey baster with a
small hose attached to remove most of the oil from the spark plug wells. You
may be able to use the spray attachment from a windex bottle or some such
thing to get out some more. And then you must remove the spark plugs and let
the last little bit run into the cylinders unless you want to blow it out
with compressed air (messy). I've been through this on several cars.

Hope this helps

Phil Williams