[E34] New 525i owner and some questions

Hello List,

This is my first post. Yesterday I took delivery of a 1989 525i. It's a
really nice car, and seems really solid and well built.

However, it has a few issues. Tonight as I was driving around, my digital
odometer, fuel gauge, and water temperature gauges went out. Sometimes they
would come back on almost immediately, other times they would not come back
on until the car had been shut off. I'm thinking that maybe there is a bad
ground or a loose wire somewhere?

Secondly, the diagnostics are telling me that the bake linings are worn.
Supposedly the car has new brakes (I saw the old pads so I know it has to
have new parts in there). The display for the diagnostics is pretty dark so
I am thinking either I have a burnt out bulb there or something electrical
is giving erroneous readings to the diagnostics. When I step on the brake
pedal the backlight for the odometer dims. It sounds to me like a bad
ground somewhere.

Where should I start troubleshooting?

Lastly, the backlighting for the temperature dials on the climate control
is not working. How do I get back there and change those bulbs?

Thanks in advance!!

- -ben
 89 525i lots of miles edition

ben ruset  :  bruset@domain.elided  :  www.stormrage.net  : icq #3740672