RE: E36 - On Board Computer

Fernando C. Lebron [mailto:lebron@domain.elided] wrote:

> I just purchased a '95 325i (E36) with almost all the options
> I wanted. The only thing missing from my list is an On Board
> Computer.

Congratulations on the new toy!

> Is it possible to install an OBC on an E36 if not installed
> at the factory?

yes.

> What would it happen if you remove the existing clock/information
> display and replace it with an OBC? (Same connectors?)

If it's anything like E30 retrofit, you might have to replace the cable that
goes between the OBC and the instrument cluster. This is all part of a
retrofit. Mini-OBC box has fewer pins and a different connector.

> Are there extra sensors required (fuel flow?) etc. required?

AFAIK, no.

> Have someone else already done this or looked into it?

yes, I seam to remember John Firestone has done just that a few years ago.
If you search old BMW Digest archives, you might find his account of the
project. If you can't find anything, consider contacting John directly.

good luck,
alex f