Re: Drive shaft for 89 535

David,

   The components of the driveshaft (u-joints, centerbearing, and guibo - if
you have one) usually expire suspiciously close to each other.  I suppose the
vibrations from one bad component soften up the others...  Regardless, it's
worth doing them all while you are in there.  While in the neighborhood, you
might take a look at the shifter linkage bushings [if she's a manual] too.
(This is when I did the shortshift kit.)  I got the replacement driveshaft
from an outfit in Portland, aptly named "Driveline" - they advertise in the
Roundel.  They rebuild driveshafts with replaceable, serviceable u-joints,
install a new centerbearings, and balance the whole shebang for around $374
($150 core).  My guibo was shot too, but looked to be in fair condition from
the outside.  (I tried to cut corners and save the thing, and wound up right
back under the car replacing it - D'oh!)

   I considered having the old shaft rebuilt at a local machine shop, but
they wanted almost the same money for the machine work alone - and it would
have been a first time (learning curve) job.  No complaints about the
Portland guys - and they were incredibly tolerant of my feeble brain.  After
the install, I had a nasty vibration which I swore was a bad (new)
centerbearing.  I located a new centerbearing at the local dealer, and
Driveline (Tim) said that if that fixed it, he would pay for it - no
questions asked.  I figured out soon after that I didn't get my heat shield
quite out of the way of the driveshaft when I reassembled things (for the
second time)...  Boy, was my face red when I called Tim back to tell him his
parts were much better than my noggin...

Total parts:  $434.
Total labor:  6 hours (but I am an idiot - should have taken 3, tops.)

Feel free to learn from my mistakes, and take care!

RobW
'85 535i

In a message dated 7/25/00 7:19:36 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
owner-bmw-digest@domain.elided writes:
(snip)
>  I have an 89 535 that is in a need of a drive shaft.
>
>  It started as a driveline type noise.  Took it to the BMW and they
recommend
>  replacing the entire driveshaft at a cost of over $1K.  Took it to a shop
> and
>  they initially said that the center bearing has gone bad and they could
> replace
>  it for couple of hundred box.  They removed the drive shaft and are saying
> that
>  in addition to the center bearing, the U joint is bad.  They essentially
> want to
>  overhaul the whole drive shaft at a $700 cost.  BMW was against this
method
> of
>  repair as they are convinced that this will create drive line vibration.
>
>  I would like to hear from others who have gone this route.  Also is there a
>  place that sells the OEM drive shaft at a discount.  I am contemplating
>  replacing it myself.
>
>  Thanks,
>
>  David
(unsnip)