Drive shaft for 89 535

I have an 89 535 that is in a need of a drive shaft.

It started as a driveline type noise.  Took it to the BMW and they recommend
replacing the entire driveshaft at a cost of over $1K.  Took it to a shop and
they initially said that the center bearing has gone bad and they could replace
it for couple of hundred box.  They removed the drive shaft and are saying that
in addition to the center bearing, the U joint is bad.  They essentially want to
overhaul the whole drive shaft at a $700 cost.  BMW was against this method of
repair as they are convinced that this will create drive line vibration.

I would like to hear from others who have gone this route.  Also is there a
place that sells the OEM drive shaft at a discount.  I am contemplating
replacing it myself.

Thanks,

David