re <E28> Dash

In regards the fella from George Dubya's state, I posted this exact query last
week and am still gathering data.

You have a couple of choices: Overlay the dash with a topper
(Coverlay/BMP/etc) OR replace the dashboard completely.

Coverlay has a website (do a search) and they apparently have a number of
different types of products available, but the universal bottom line is that
NO ONE on this list would be satisfied with the way they look in comparison to
original. It's either too plasticky or too shiny or both; it creaks and
squeaks unless perfectly applied (I got no tips on how to do that, although I
have my own ideas..) and the fit was not always perfect. IT looks like
PLASTIC, not vinyl.

On the other hand, I have gotten conflicting reports about installing a new
dash: One party said it was the hardest thing he had ever done, since it was
riveted in, and another said that it was a two hour job. I'm still waiting for
confirmation of the procedure he used to do that.

Used dash-tops run in the $175 to $400 range depending on who's doing the talking.

I would think that overlaying the dash with a coverlay product, AND buying a
fabric dash topper would be an acceptable compromise. You wouldn't have to
look at the topper, and the cloth 'mat' would further disguise the dash
overlay. I've just never found a cloth or carpet-style mat that I really
liked, unfortunately.

You could also consider altering the overlay with dye to give it that factory
semi-matte look. If I decide that the dash replacement is a project from hell,
I may experiment with that.

So, depending on the degree of difficulty in installing a used
excellent-condition dash-top, I would do that first of course. What's 400
clams on a prized bimmer anyway...

This topic is still open to discussion...

Rick Viehdorfer
CCA #148771