Considering buying \';95 525iT - Questions

Howdy folks - I'm back! Maybe. I was a digest member a few years ago and I'm
hoping to return.

I test drove the above mentioned car today and I've got some questions that
I'm hoping someone can help me answer. This car has just under 69k miles and
drives very well, looks great and comes with a BMW certified warranty until
100k or 2 years. The dealer is asking $21,700, which seems fairly reasonable
to me. My guess is that it can be bought for less.

FYI, I used to own a '92 version of the same car and loved it. I sold it
after the warranty ran out and I had some other financial priorities. I had
great luck with the car, but when I did need to rely upon the local
stealership honor the warranty, they were pretty stingy and they cooperated
only after a fair amount of complaining on my part.

How useful is this warranty? Does it differ in any way from the original
50k/3 yr. one?

The car I'm considering has a brief hesitation and possibly a sputter upon
initial acceleration. Is this likely a failure of some of the ignition coils
(that seem to go bad like clockwork around 70k)? Would this be covered under
the warranty? Is there anything major that wouldn't be covered under
warranty?

I put a Jim C. chip in my previous (pre-VANOS) iT and the results were
magnificent. My fuel mileage improved and the car was noticeably quicker. Is
it possible/okay to install said chip in a VANOS model? Will it likely have
the same effect as it did on my old car?

Any particular bugaboos to look out for on the '95?

Thanks in advance for any help or guidance you can give me. I'm looking
forward to being back in the fold.

John Byrne