Re: 1992 325I Speedometer malfunction

I hope someone can give me some advice as to what I should
do to fix my speedometer. Under normal warm conditions the speedometer
works fine. If the car is outside on a cool evening, say below 50 degrees,
the speedometer will not work first thing in the morning for 10 to 15 minutes.
After the cars warms up, the speedometer works fine.

What could be the problem? I am at a loss where to begin to look. My mechanic
said that since it is all electronic that he could remove the speedometer head
and send it away for service somewhere in Oregon (about 2 weeks). The
dealer, not my mechanic, said that they only replace the whole instrument
cluster ($$$$) and do not even try to fix individual components. Has anyone
ever experienced this type of problem, and if so what was the course of
action. Do I go for a new instrument cluster or try to fix assuming that
this is actually the problem. Could it just be a bad connection somewhere?

Thanks for any help!