323Ci E46 - HarmanKardon stereo system

Has anyone attempted to fine-tune or improve the "premium" sound system
available on new BMW 323 vehicles, with after-market components.

Unfortunately, I find the "premium" BMW system lacking in sound
quality, and I would like to explore various options to improve the
system.

I have received an email from HarmanKardon saying that they
do not produce after-market car audio components, and that
the system in the BMW was custom designed.  "Call BMW", they wrote.

My dealer (Otto's in Ottawa, ON, Canada) replied that they do not have
any technical information whatsoever on the HK sound system.  I will be
contacting BMW Canada, next.

One problem with the sound produced by the HK system, is that the bass
is undefined, distored and "boomy", lacking in musicality, though
probably adequate for head-banging sound.  The high-end of the sound
system is marginally acceptable.

On the plus side, the HK BMW system has very low noise, which on
poorer systems would be audible as an unpleasant "hiss".  This "hiss"
is inaudible on the HK BMW system.

Lew Stelmach

- --

Lew Stelmach, Ph.D.          | Communications Research Centre
(613) 998 2005 voice         | 3701 Carling Ave.
(613) 990 6488 fax           | Ottawa, Ontario,
Email: lew.stelmach@domain.elided   | K2H 8S2      Canada