'95 E36 M3 - lower control arm / bushing replacement

Took my '95 M3 to local shop for new brakes - OEM BMW rotors, Pagid pads,
nothing special.

But In addition to that, the tech there tells me I need new control arms &
bushings. The tab for that looks to be about $600 (parts & labor).

I'd like to check for myself how bad off the control arms & bushings are.

What is a good way to check or test the control arms & bushings?
What would be some symptoms of a problem with them?

Thanks,
- - James