Re: bmw-digest V9 #1518

Hi everyone.  I have lurked on this list for awhile.  I emailed the list
awhile back expressing my interest in buying a BMW.  At that time it was a
ways off.  Well I am getting closer and closer.  So I wanted to get a
few opinions on what to get.  I am set on getting a E36 M3 stick, four
or two door.  I do not plan on modifying it except for a few basic things
(chip, Euro m3 brakes etc.).  Anyway, I am stuck between three choices of
what type of M3 to get.  Firstly I was thinking of finding a 95 with low
miles (~30,000).  Secondly I was thinking of either a 97 two door or four
door with average miles (~45000).  I have set a budget of $30000 for the
car.  Should be fairly easy to find a 95/96 like that and might be pushing
it to find a 97 for that.  Anyway, are there any disadvantages or
advantages to either of these choices and what things should I look for in
specific years.  I have heard a few things about water pump impellers
deciding to go byebye and wreaking havoc, but that's about all I have
heard.  Anyway, any advice would be great.  BTW, I live in San Diego and
plan on having this as a secondary car (believe it or not I drive my race
car [GTI 16v] as a daily driver).  Thanks guys!

Mark Radelow
1997 Jetta GLX
1991 GTI 16V