<E30> winshield gasget

I removes the windshield from my '87 325i to repair some minor rust that formed under the gasget. Reinstalling the gasget and glass seems like it is more difficult than it should be.
 The gasget does not fit tightly around the window, there seems to be a few extra inches that will create a fold. Also the corners are not pre-formed so the gasget bunches up as it bends around the corners.
 Any hints / tips / simpathy would be appreciated.

Brain Tomsa

'87 325i
'86 535i (rip)