Jim C. chip install?

I recenlty bought a used Jim C. chip for my 87' 325is. Since it was used i
have none of the original paperwork. Im not sure how they are installed. So
i have a few questions maybe some of you can answer. Could I install this
myself? And if not, how long should it take a local shop? Also, if anyone
could simply describe how it should be installed so i could describe it to
my shop it would be great! I heard that if you install it backwards you can
cause some serious problems. How do you know what is the right way? thank
you for your time,

Jason
87' 325is
99' 528i