328is Steering Wheel shimmy

Sam Choi was having a problem with his brake pedal pulsing and steering
wheel shimmying and the group diagnosis was brake rotors.  One response in
particular caught my attention - you don't necessarily feel the pedal
pulsing when you have a rotor issue.  Got me to thinking about my own "wheel
shimmy".

The car: 1997 328is, manual trans, stock everything.
The symptoms: Steering wheel will "shimmy" at virtually all speeds,
sometimes violently under braking, with zero pedal pulsing, no pulling to
one side of the other, and no grab-slip-grab-slip that one would associate
with the rotors wobbling.  The steering wheel does not bounce up and down
(ala unbalanced wheel).  Rate of shimmy is relative to speed.

Rotors?

John Virnig
'97 328is