<E36> tire cupping

Dear Digesters,

I have a 96 328i with the sport package. When I got the car last fall both
front tires were fairly well scalloped. So this spring I had my dealer
rotate the tires and do a four wheel alignment (Hunter.) With the back tires
now on the front the car was much quieter. However within about three months
the cupping was back and so was the associated noise from the front tires.

At the same time I had the alignment, I had an inspection II done and so the
front suspension components should have been checked twice. My BMW mechanic
is very good and so I am sure if there was something wrong there he should
have seen it. I don't think I have bent wheels and I have no vibration of
any sort up to top speed. Except for the scalloping my tires seem to be
wearing well.

I don't track my car and except for speeding I am a fairly sedate driver. So
what could be causing this?

Thanks for all your advice and help.

Dennis
96 328i sport