Plastic Impellers

>Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2000 21:51:43 -0500
>From: David DeBord <dedebord@domain.elided>
>Subject: plastic impeller

>How can I tell if I have the infamous plastic impeller water pump? Is
>this covered by a "tech bulletin" & will BMW replace it for free? When
>do these usually go? I have a certified e36 328is '96.
>thnx
david
dedebord@domain.elided

Having gone through this experience with my '92 325i, I contacted BMW NA on
when the plastic impellers were replaced with the metal ones. I was told
that they were replace as of May '96. However, at least one digester
confirmed he had to replace his plastic impeller with a build date of May
'96. Generally, the water pumps go after about 60k miles with the plastic
impellers. If your build date is prior to May of '96 I'd be real careful.
The plastic impeller pump can take out the radiator as well when the pump
goes, like mine did.
Henry
'92 325i w/ new water pump And new radiator.

Henry