Stereo wiring for '98 M3

Sometime before I bought it, my M3's stereo head unit was apparently
stolen. When I installed the factory CD changer and plugged the power
and data cables into it, the head unit didn't recognize it. I pulled the
unit out of the dash and discovered:

a) it was a salvaged part (found a warranty label from a parts dealer)
b) the data cable connector had been cut off
c) the harness wiring had been SOLDIERED DIRECTLY ON TO THE PINS OF THE
HARNESS CONNECTOR SOCKET

Sorry about the caps, but I still can't believe it.

So...I went out and bought a new data cable, and plugged it into the CD
and the head unit. Still no comprende CD.

I suspect one of two things is wrong:

1) The harness wiring is not correct, and the head unit is not getting
some signal it needs to be able to switch to CD mode (everything else
works fine)...two pins (numbers 7 and 8) are not connected to anything

2) The head unit need to be "told" that the CD is there manually, in
some way I haven't discovered.

So...does anybody have the schematic for this set up or know where I can
get it?

Thanks...

- ---
pld (I don't know who's worse: the stereo thief or the guy with the
soldiering iron...)