E36 Climate Control and OBC short term memory loss

Good morning fellow digesters,

One of the few lingering annoyances in my '97 328i are:

1. The climate control has short term memory loss. There's nothing wrong
with the unit, it's just by design that if you turn the car off for more
than a few minutes it forgets custom settings, such as the re-circulation
setting, which for an allergy sufferer like myself is a must in springtime

2. The on board computer defaults to blank / off when you turn the car on.
It's now in my second nature to click the temperature button when I get in
the car, but it sure would be nice if it would either remember the last
setting or have a default on setting. After all, why would you buy an OBC
and then not have it on?

So I was hoping someone here may know a trick to "circumvent" either  or
both of these issues.

Thanks,

_Mike_
'97 328i w/ Dinan chip and box