Importing my euro M5 3.8L -92 to California

About a year ago I sent this question to the digest. Most people then told
me that it would be quit impossible. Some months ago a friend there told me
that he had read articles speaking about new rules which should make it
possible.
I would really appreciate if someone could spread some light over this.
This autumn I'll relocate to California for some years, and I would really
hate to leave my "Ultimate Driving Machine" here.

Thanks in advance

T Guggenbichler

E28 M535i -87
E34 M5 3.8L Touring -92