[E36] flooded DME?

Has anyone had problems with a flooded DME?  After running my car through the car wash, the dealer could not get it to start (I've never had any trouble starting the car under any circumstances).  One of the techs pulled out the DME and showed me some moisture and road grime that had accumulated in the DME compartment.  After cleaning out the compartment and cleaning the connectors on the DME, the car started fine.  The tech said that they needed to "rebuild the drains" for the DME compartment.  That sounded kinda' strange to me.  Has anyone ever experienced this kind of problem before?

Dan Hermann
'92 325i