'99 E36 M3 Sunroof

i own a 1999 M3 and the sunroof has now failed twice.  It is stuck in
the closed position now and won't move at all.  Just last week I had the
entire drive replaced in the sunroof b/c it got stuck partially open and
they found a broken part in it.  2 questions:
1) Has anyone had this type of problem before?
2) I never had this problem until I put a Thule roof rack on my car.(the
rack has nothing on it)  Is it possible for the rack to place that much
pressure on the roof?(i would think not).
Please advise.  Thank you.