RE: e30 throttle body mods

JASON R MCCOWAN [mailto:JMCCOWAN@domain.elided] wrote:

> you are speaking about a stock motor, right?  i've got an '88
> 325iS w/a Korman stage II comp. head, 288 cam, long-tube headers
> and a tri-flo exhaust.  the car still has a BONE STOCK intake
> (ok, i had a cone filter kit on it that i took off a while ago
> after hearing about how horribly K&N's flowed).  the only thing
> i can think of that is wrong w/ the car is that it's got that
> stock intake on it.  another local e30 guy (Kyle) took me out
> in his modded 325iS that had similar mods as mine as far as
> the head went, but he had a big-bore throttle body, big-ass
> cone filter, and a port-matched intake manifold.  oh yea, he
> didn't even have headers on it at that time, but the thing felt
> a lot more responsive than mine, and seemed to pull just as
> hard.  when my car had stock manifolds, it ran like complete
> crap and was slower than my mother's bone stock '91 325isA,
> even though i had the korman head.  the only thing i can
> attribute his greater amount of power to is the intake mods.

Jason,
You are right, I am talking about mostly stock engines.
When you start swapping cams and futzing with head/pistons/etc I don't
pretend to know what will make your engine happy. But with the stock E30
M20B25 engine, after market throttle body is not it.
I also read in one of the auto publications the same verdict on
bad-ass-throttle bodies for non-blown VW engines.

> oh yea, he had a custom autothority chip that i tried in my
> car on the same day; his still felt better.

Oh, but his chip was custom burned for his car, not yours.
Even if you had a better engine, the guy's custom-built chip was not tuned
for your engine and may not have been able to wake up all of your engine's
horses.

> -jason mccowan  <<crazy modded e30 that would be lucky to run 15's.
> ncc

alex f
autoX E30 with no engine mods ;-)