Experiences With an '88 750il ?

A friend is looking to sell his '88 750il and has offered it to me for
$7000 (blue book range is $9000-$12,000) which looks like a pretty good
deal.  The car is in excellent condition in/out and has been maintained
by a mechanic, but has 195,000 non-city miles.  I realize this car is
significantly more esoteric than my '90 325i, but I'm pretty good at
turning a wrench which I hope might minimize the costs he encountered
from his mechanic.

Can anybody give me any pointers for things to look out for - or just
plain stay away from this car ?

Thanks
Al