Re: Keys for an e-30 ( E36)

We need to remember here that they started putting the microchip inside the
keys (I think they started in 95).  The ring around the ignition switch
senses the chip in the key and allows the system to engage the starter.  If a
bogus key is used it will not start.

I just had a Viper alarm system installed in my 95 318ic and to do this it I
had to buy an extra "chip" key ($39 Valet key from BMW) and also an extra
ignition switch sensor ring ($15 BMW) and Circuit City installed both the
ring and the key inside a wired box under the hood.  This combination allows
the remote starter function on my Viper to work without a "chip" key in the
ignition.

Regards,
Sir.