Keys for an e-30

>Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 12:44:21 -0500
>From: "Fadeev, Alex" <Alex.Fadeev@domain.elided>
>Subject: RE: replacement for lost keys
>
>Sir10inch@domain.elided wrote:
>>
>> on my 95  318ic  but I did get them in one day, from BMW.
>>  I called a locksmith and he told me that there are 8 "chip
>> keys" for each car's computer and (only) BMW can sell you one,
>> one key at a time but when all 8 are gone from stock the
>> computer then needs to be replaced.  You will then have 8 new
>> (available for purchase)  Don't know what the computer will cost.
>> Can anyone else confirm this?
>
>This is all true, but has nothing to do with Christopher Kent's e30 325
>which does not have EWS.
>Chris's key would cost $10 to make out of a blank (only dealer will have the
>blanks) with (theoretically) VIN + the proof of ownership. When I had a
>duplicate made for my '89 325i in Richmond VA, the dealer never requested
>either ;-).
>Now if you do not have a key for the dealer to duplicate, they should be
>able to cut the key based on the VIN alone, but it may take longer/cost
>more.
>
>good luck,
>alex f

Christopher, Alex,

If you just need copies of an existing key, go to a hardware store and they
may have a blank available. I just paid $2.99 for my safety key (it's in a
magnetic box hidden on my car). On the other hand, the dealer does not need
to start from an existing key to to make a copy and the key will be made of
steel and not brass.

Josh
'85 e-30 (city car)