Noise from rear driver side wheel well

Hello I had posted previosuly about a clunking noise comming from teh rear of m
y car.  I realize now that it is comming from the rear wheel well. I remebered
reading somewhere that older BMWs were known to have the shock housing part of
the wheel well rust out. I checked this and it was in perfect condition. When I
 push the car up and down there is a groaning noise comming from the top of the
 shock. When the car is driven there is a rolling and metalic clunking from tha
t area. Also when someone gets in and out on the driver side there is a clunk a
nd groan...

Can someone help? Could this be a loose shock or something wrong where the shoc
k connects to the body?

Thanks
Syed   528e 1988 E28