Re: Please help me sell my 1992 325i

     KEN.....
              I've been selling BMWs almost exclusively since
1974,concentrating on 5 to 15 year old cars.For a start,Try my version of
your ad,and see if it doesn't flow a little better,easier to read,with the
emphasis changed in certain areas.Your ad was pointed towards people like we
have on the list,but 95% of the people READING that ad have little concept
of how we think.You need to attract the other 95% better,and let the 5% find
their way.
              1. Many people don't know that '92 was a model change year,and
that your car is drastically better and worth more than '90/91 cars.They
just know the price is alot higher.
              2.Talk of racing scares people to death,even denials.
              3.Adding  the long list of desirable standardequipment to the
REAL options,hides them from many people.
              4.Yes,the price is too high.
              5.An ad now must seem to be a different car.After about three
weeks or so,people noticing the ad will wonder why it's not sold if it's
such a great car,and shy away.I've run ads for a month,changed them,and THEN
the phone rang on the "New" car for sale.
              6.People often don't have money until IRS refunds,weather
changes to warm,etc.etc.May/June has twice as many buyers,maybe more,as the
wintertime in the mid-atlantic states.
              7.You may have noticed I've turned BMW sales into an art form
of sorts.It works better.There's more,so please fill in the blanks I left in
your ad if you're interested,as nothing I've done is casual;it all has one
purpose;NOT to sell the car,but just to get a reaction.If the ad brings
people out to your door,the car will do 65% of the sales work on it's
own.They always do.
              8.If Phil Marx has any suggestions,he's better than I am at
this by a fair margin;listen to him.

                Hope this helps with the frustration...
                                   "RA"/Bob G.

>From: "Ken Ross" <Kdross@domain.elided>
><bmwuucdigest@domain.elided>
>CC: <bmw-digest@domain.elided>
>Subject: Please help me sell my 1992 325i
>Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 22:08:37 -0400
>
>I have been trying to sell my 325i for the past three months with no luck.
>The car is in great shape and has low miles (only 68K), so I don't know why
>I haven't gotten any calls.  I advertised the car on autotrader.com, the
>Philadelphia Inquirer, and at my local mechanic's shop.  I am totally
>baffled as to why no one is calling about the car.  The ad is posted below
>and any input would be greatly appreciated.  Is the price too high, is the
>car too old, or is this just a bad time of the year to sell the car.  TIA.
>
>1992 BMW 325iA,
>burgundy with tan leather, only 68K original miles,and
>almost better than new condition and very clean.
>With extensive service history,the car needs nothing but gas.
  (any recent inspection,newer tires,or major repairs here)