E36 Air conditioner micro filter

My A/C isn't running as cool as it used to--its still pretty cold, just not
a blizzard like it was after the last time I serviced it.  Anyway. last time
(couple years ago) all they did was replace the micro filter and showed me
how bad the old one was.  So I'm thinking that is all it may require this
time.  Is this a do it yourself project for a reasonably mechanically
inclined person?  Where is the microfilter located, anyway? Are there any
pitfalls to be wary of ? Thanks to all.