<E36> Want to buy

I'm beginning to look for a replacement for my faithful E28 535i, and of
course am only considering Bimmers.  I'd like to downsize to a 3er, a nice
used, low mileage example.  I don't particularly care whether I end up with
the 2.5 or 2.8 l motor.

So my question: is any year between 1992 and 1998 any better than another
(given similar mileage and condition)?  It seems that more options were
added later in the series (things that used to be standard, like leather
interiors).  I dimly remember a similar thread to my question a couple
months ago when I rejoined the digest...if the fellow that collected similar
information then would send a synopsis of the Wisdom of the Digest, I would
be most appreciative.  I welcome any and all input.

Thanks,

Scott Petersen
scotpete@domain.elided