Re: <E30> <BMW's> Driving Habits

Lorenzo141@domain.elided wrote:
> I usually shift between 3-4k RPM, I like revving it up...

I have the same engine, and it hardly starts making any
torque until 4000.  You're not "revving it up" until you
bounce off the rev limiter on the back straight.  That's
when it really sings...

> I have seen other BMW owners on the road and their
> maneuvering through traffic... I think it's great
> that we belong to a select group of people that
> know how to handle and drive their cars appropriately.

If you're talking about jerks who play too fast in traffic,
jumping between lanes and aggressively cutting other drivers
off instead of moving with the flow, I'm not impressed.
That's not appropriate handling and driving, that's
juvenile testosterone poisoning.  I watch out for them.

If you're talking about drivers who can move so skillfully
down the road and around a curve that you don't even
notice how smoothly and unobtrusively they're driving,
never using the syncromesh or flexing the giubo, never
making waves in their coffee cup, they're the ones I
watch and respect.  They've learned those chops at the
track in a driving school, not in traffic.
- --
Bob Sutterfield
'87 E30 325iS
BMWCCA #169277