Cooling problem 84 318i

Hi,

[Pls send replies to me directly]

I replaced the water thermostat housing  because a connector going to
throttle  was broken.
After filling with coolant/water I bleeded air off the system as described
in the repair manual. But now, the car is overheating, at times, there is
no heat and water boils over.  I made sure that I have a good working
thermostat and that I have mounted it right and  hoses are connected to the
respective places ( not much mistake can be made).

I have refilled and bleeded a few times but no avail. The symptoms looks
like as if water pump is not working to circulate water.  Water pump is
moving and belt is good.Before I make attempt replacing the water pump, I
want to make sure that it is bad. Any tips on diagnosing it.

Any idea what went wrong?

Thanks.

- -Shri