How difficult is it too.....

Greetings All!

I have a friend that needs a new diff. in her 92 318 and wanted to know how
difficult it is to install one.  Is a lift needed?   Any special tools or
knowledge needed?  A mechanic quoted her $1,500 for parts and labor, does
this sound right to you all?

I would love to do it for her and save her some money (not to mention
getting brownie points!!) but don't want to get in over my head either.  I
have done most of the work on my 325i that has been needed.  I'm the one
that had the broken bolt in the oil housing and fixing that has probably
been the toughest thing I have done so far on my car.

I would also like to know if there is a place you all can recommend to get a
good used diff. or a reasonable priced new one.
Thanks for your time!!

Manuel Paredes
95 325i sharked, x-ed, m3mflrd
L.A. BMWCCAd