fan noise (was Re: How much oil?)

Ken Cory wrote:
> I let it go, took the car up to speed, radiator shifted
> back directly into the fan blades=instant destruction
> of both the radiator and the fan, and I got some nice
> dents in my hood from flying pieces of fan blade.

Once in my mom's '67 Mustang convertible, the shop guys
hadn't fastened down the battery.  I took a right turn a
bit more briskly than Mom usually would.  The battery
fell into the fan, which chewed holes in several cells.
The battery shoved the fan into the back of the radiator,
and chewed holes in several tubes.

It was a pretty spectacular steaming, hissing puddle of
battery acid and coolant.  I could see the outline for
months after.

Don't ignore ticking noises, even if it's not your valves.
- --
Bob Sutterfield
'87 E30 325iS
BMWCCA #169277