"Rice Burners" I don't get it...(WOB)

I'm in my BMW most of the day (I do sales) and live and drive in the
Rockville Md area... my question is this... why are more and more (and more)
corollas, preludes, civics, and integra's being totally redone with these
huge chrome mufflers, motorsound kits, gigantic spoilers (the one I saw on
an integra today would have blown your mind), 18-19" wheels!, and tons of
stickers - even handsigned signatures on the rear deck!  I saw so many
stickers on this black integra today, I thought it was a race car or
something.  The kids driving them are almost all asian or latino (not that
there's anything wrong with that) - is it a cultural thing I don't
understand?  It's wild!  I've never seen soooo many, as this past year.  I
guess it helps that 2 shops opened up with 3 miles of each other that cater
to this aftermarket crowd.  I guess it just looks goofy to me.  Am I getting
old? (40 going on 18, I thought...)  What does everyone else think of these
cars?  I have to laugh when I see some of them... they remind me of the "hot
rod" type cars kids used to drive when I was a kid - with those crager mags,
and large orange lightening stripes on cars called "Cobra" this and "SS"
that...  Did I answer my own question?

Curious... on a slow news day,
Steve Robinson
95 740i