using standard handsets with the BMW Digital CPT 7000 phone system

Hi,

I would like to know what BMW did to the standard StarTAC dual-mode
cell phone when creating their CPT 7000 phone system.

I had my dealer install the new BMW Digital CPT 7000 phone system.  It
comes with a "standard" Motorola StarTAC dual-mode (analog/CDMA)
handset (you use it as a standard handheld cell phone when out of the
car, and you plug it into the system when in the car).  It's all very
nice, especially since the car computer downloads the phonebook, which
you can then use for hands-free dialing via buttons on the
steering-wheel.

One can buy additional handsets from BMW ($400) so that all drivers
can just plug in their cell phones.  Most stores sell what appears to
be the same phone for $250.  More important, we already have a second
phone (pre-dates the car) and we would like to use it in the car.

When we plug it in, the system doesn't recognize it.  So it appears
that there's some type of special programming.  I'm guessing that it's
just an ID code or something, as it wouldn't make a lot of sense to
create special software (unless perhaps the phonebook download is
entirely unique to BMW).

I would appreciate any info/advice.

Thanks

js