<E34> Shift Lever "Shroud" Broken

I'd appreciate any "hints" on how to solve a vexing "cosmetic" problem=2E

Car: 1989 535i Auto Trans=2E

The Part: Surrounding the shift lever, there is a simple black plastic "rippled"=20=
"shroud" that resides and moves to and fro directly under the gear indicator hous=
ing=2E  This piece is perhaps one inch=20=
wide and four or five inches long=2E  There is a hole through this shroud where t=
he actual shift lever comes through=2E  The shroud's function is to hide the "inn=
erds" of the shifting mechanism when the=20=
shift lever travels from one gear to another=2E

Problem:  Somehow, the shroud cracked about an inch or so from the rear-most end=2E=
  Thus, when the lever is in Park, about an inch of "open space" is visible down=20=
into the selector housing=2E

Advice:  I'd like to repair or replace this shroud, but can't figure out how to g=
ain access to it=2E  It appears that the shift lever knob and the "E/M/S" mode sw=
itch will need to be removed before the=20=
indicator housing can be removed=2E  Can somebody who knows how to get to this pi=
ece give me a little help here?
Thanks=2E
Mike Sopchick
Washington DC

This e-mail is sent by a law firm and contains information
that may be privileged and confidential=2E If you are not the
intended recipient, please delete the e-mail and notify us
immediately=2E

End of bmw-digest V9 #1457